Google Plus Facebook Twitter YouTube


Plane
 
Plane
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Shopper

St Mary and St Nicholas

The Church of St. Mary and St. Nicholas was built on the site of the medieval Church of St. Nicholas bewteen 1841 and 1844. It was commissioned by the Dowager Countess of Pembroke and her son Lord Herbert of Lee and was designed by the architects T. H. Wyatt and D. Brandon and cost £20,000 to build. Unusually for an Anglican parish church it is designed in the Romanesque style as an imitation of a basilica in Lombary and because of this is now referred to as the Italianate Church.

The Pembroke family greatly influenced the style and fittings of the church and a lot of early workmanship was imported from Europe including marble columns which came from the Temple of Venus at Porto Venere which date from the 2nd century BC, stained glass from France which dates from 12th and 13th century and tablet, memorials and bells from the old church of St. Mary were reused as that was partly demolished in 1845. The church was consecrated in 1845.


Get Your Business Listed Here

Address

things-to-do
St Mary and St Nicholas
West Street,
Wilton,
Salisbury,
Wiltshire,
UK
SP2 0DL

Contact

385
Telephone:
01722 742393

St Mary and St Nicholas  wiltonpcc@btinternet.com  

Map

things-to-do
thingstodo.png
51.080817-1.866122
 

QR Details

things-to-do

Scan or click for VCard